Date: 1st September 2017 at 6:00pm
Written by:

Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard says he is no closer to signing a new deal at Stamford Bridge despite numerous reports that a contract would be signed this summer.

The Sun have reported that a £300,000 a week was said to be on the table for the 26 year old but speaking on Wednesday before Belgium’s 9-0 win over Gibraltar last night, Hazard said there had been no more talks scheduled to take place. He told reporters:

“At the moment there’s nothing. I’m waiting.”

The Belgian international scored a goal and provided an assist versus Gibraltar yesterday, following his return to full fitness after an ankle injury.

He has three years remaining on his current contract, after signing his last new deal back in February 2015, but the increase in salaries for players in the Premier League due to the new TV rights deal, and rumoured interest from clubs like Real Madrid, will certainly hasten Chelsea’s efforts to secure the star to a new long term contract in the not too distant future.