It feels imminent this stage and one of the worst kept secrets in football in a long time and it isn’t a case of if but when he it will be made official. The Sun claimed last night via their website that Mourinho signed a contract worth £40m on Tuesday night with his attendance at Wembley Stadium to watch Crystal Palace and Watford for the Championship play-off the day before being his cover story and reason for being in the capital.
Sky Sports today reported that Chelsea had been contacted and no-one at the West London Club would go on the record and confirm the rumours. But Spanish journalist Guillem Balague says that everyone at his current club knows where Mourinho will be going next and that he has been in touch with Chelsea for some time.
“Jose Mourinho has been in touch with Chelsea for at least two weeks, probably much more than that, finalising a deal he wanted.
“When he said there was one club that loved him more than the others he was obviously referring to Chelsea and probably adding a bit of pressure to Roman Abramovich for everything to be finalised.
“He did tell everybody at the club – or the ones he still speaks to – that his wish was to go back to London.”
Mourinho will take charge of his last game as Real Madrid manager against Osasuna at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday and is expected back in London shortly after ending his three-year reign in the Spanish capital.
I’m sure Chelsea will want to announce his ‘second coming’ in early June as although he won’t officially start work until early July, it would help to have him on board when it comes to chasing transfer targets and the season ticket renewal will be upon us on Monday June 3rd.
Mourinho’s first game will be against the Singha All-Stars in Thailand, the Blues will then play two more games in Asia against a Malaysia XI (Kuala Lumpur) and BNI Indonesia All-Stars (Jakarta) before joining Everton, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus and Valencia for the Guinness International Champions Cup in the USA.